Friday, September 10, 2010

Toddlers in Tiaras 09.09.10

Before the end of Ramadaan, there's a special night of the 26th. The transliteration of the word (I neglected to write down) means, "The night before the 27th," and that's when all of the children who began fasting receive presents and new clothes. Fasting existed before Islam and extended into Pagan traditions. The gifts during fasting were given by some of the first Muslims to their children as a distraction from the hunger and thirst. The manifestation of this history is that all of the children put enough makeup on to be cake faces, and they sit upon palacial couches on the street. It's a big even to have your child photographed. Not everyone who is dressed up fasted, but many people dress up in these regal outfits that make a bedazzler look like a punchline.

I taught my host family the word, "shnazzy." I'm doing you proud, 'Merica.

My host family tried to take me last night. Alas, we went at midnight and the shops to dress up were just closing. They re-opened at three, but I wanted to sleep.

Salaam,

Cake face

No comments:

Post a Comment